Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanks-Giving

In North America, we often use the terms "family" and "extended family" to differentiate close relationships. I am grateful for the love and support of every one of you, family and friends alike, as I prepare for a month in Maseno.

In Africa, I am told, there is no such differentiation. There is only "family," or tribe. Perhaps that is how neighbors and grandparents and even nine-year-old siblings manage to care for children who have lost a whole generation of parents to disease.


We can help in both word and deed. "Hands and hearts," we remind ourselves. "Help us to walk in the footsteps of Christ," we pray. Your hands will be working, your hearts will be loving, and your footsteps will be walking beside mine.

We all have much to learn from, as well as give to, our brothers and sisters in Kenya. With the hope that we might learn together, I will try to send messages from Maseno. There is no computer access at the hospital, but there is a university cybercafe  nearby.


Many of us will be with family or extended family for the holidays. You will be in my prayers as I travel, in response to Nan and Gerry Hardison's generous invitation to "come and see." Please keep me -- and God's one beloved family throughout the world -- in yours. Thank you.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Dearest Dianne,

Thank you so much for letting all of us be part of this journey with you. You are walking in Christ's footsteps for us, and we are holding you close in prayer.

Love. Lori

Anonymous said...

Dear Dianne,

What a gift your entries are. I feel like I am right there with you hearing the sounds, tasting the foods you describe and feeling your compassion for he children and all you are serving. You however the heart and hands in Maseno. "Princess Dianna" I love it. Be well. God bless you.

With love and unceasing prayers for you and those you work and for the patients you touch.

Deacon Barb